April 13, 2011

Fearing God-Holiness according to Tozer and Lewis

I've been spending a few post talking about God's holiness.

A.W Tozer seems to have written a lot about the holiness of God. This quote helps me to dig into God's holiness in a fuller way--
"Holy is the way God is. To be holy he does not conform to a standard. He is that standard. He is absolutely holy with an infinite, incomprehensible fullness of purity that is incapable of being other than it is. Because he is holy, all his attributes are holy; that is, whatever we think of as belonging to God must be thought of as holy."  
A.W Tozer
This really challenges me not to ignore God's holiness, but to consider it and discipline myself into knowing God as a Holy God. Tozer is telling us that we can't even consider God's love, His peace, or any part of Him without putting it through this filter of His holiness. I know that I don't naturally do this because when I ask myself what it means that God is Holy, the concept still seems foreign and vague. But without grasping and internalizing His holiness, I will never fully get His other attributes.


And lastly CS Lewis said this about holiness:
"How little people know who think that holiness is dull. When one meets the real thing, it is irresistible”
I think I worry that the opposite of this statement is true. That God's holiness is stuffy and will bore me, but that isn't true. That is false thinking. True holiness is intriging and refreshing!
How well do you know the Holiness of God?

No comments: