April 11, 2011

Fearing God-Holiness (The Good News)

A passage of scripture that is helping me cultivate a fearful and reverent heart toward God is Isaiah 6.
 1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
   “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
   the whole earth is full of his glory."
Here we see one of the main descriptors of God in the Bible-Holy.

But what does it mean that God is Holy?

The "holy" used to describe God means "set apart" or I think of it as "wholly other", completely different. And this is actually a great thing about God, one that draws me more fully into His embrace.

All the junk that goes here, all the things that happen to me that I hate. All the drama I end up in that I want free from, all the ways that people break me and I break others. God is wholly above that. He is completely different. He doesn’t approach me to use me for His own advantage. He doesn’t try to consume me for Himself, and He doesn’t hold a grudge against me for all the ways I’ve screwed up. He is set apart from all that. 

He is wholly other, set so apart from us and our world, that we don't have to worry about Him abusing us the way others here have abused. When we think of His fatherhood (especially if we have had lousy fathers) we can press into the fact that He is a wholly different, a completely perfect Father, and we can rest in this bold and new Fatherhood. That His holy Love is completely different that any love I've experienced. Being in a relationship with Him is so wholly refreshing because I'm not having to wade through His junk, his insecurities. He is Holy, set apart, completely different, and His holy love is freeing to my soul.

How does thinking about God (His love, His peace, His hope) as wholly other bring you refreshment and freedom?

No comments: