March 11, 2008

Notes from a Cowering Evangelist: Fish & Loaves

I spent the afternoon looking at Mark 6 where Jesus feeds the 5,000+. I was struck by Christ's conversation with the disciples. When they tell him to send away the people because everyone needed to eat, Jesus says, "You give them something to eat." Flabbergasted the disciples point Christ to the fact that they don't have the resources to feed everyone. Jesus' response was, "Bring what you do have to me." And what did they have--only two fish and five loaves, and the result was that ALL were satisfied.

When I think about sharing the gospel with non-Christians I often wish I had a better set of gifts. I wish I was comfortable just bringing up Jesus with strangers at Cafe Gouda. I wish I had a natural passion that was always at the forefront of my brain. Mainly, I wish my life was less difficult. With one car, three kids (soon enough), a job, a full schedule for both Josh and I, time spent trying to build relationship with other families in our church and the time Josh and I spend serving at church, I struggle to see where in my week I would even be out of my house long enough to meet someone who didn't know Jesus.

But I need to stop wishing for a life that I see as ideal. I need to stop whining about not having enough time and take what I have to Christ and let Him do something with it. I need to ask the Spirit daily to take the two hours and five minute I have outside the house on a given day or week and lead me into divine appointments.

God--give me an in your face passion for the lost and use the gifts and personality You blessed me with to connect with those who are longing to know You. Help me be creative in seeing where in my life I can make more space for building relationships with the lost.

Take these meager fish and loaves and bring satisfaction to Hickory and the world.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love how you interact with scripture, Lee. Your insight into God's word and its application to life is a blessing to your church community, work community, and your friends! I am so thankful for (and often personally blessed by) how God has gifted you!

Amy