September 18, 2010

Living Out the Transformed Life: Coerced

The pursuit of a transformed life has to be root in and motivated by Christ's love for us.
It can not be pursued out of feelings of obligation or guilt.

2 Corinthians 5:14a--"For Christ's love compels us."

Yesterday I talked about Christ's love compelling us toward transformation. But a good number of people in the church (including a couple here at the Simmons Spot) aren't motivated by Christ's passion for us. We strive toward holiness because it's what we should do, or because we feel deep guilt if we don't.

We are coerced into the transformed life, not compelled.

I pursue right living because it is expected by my family, my friends, my church, myself, my God. I strive toward holiness because it is what good girls do. But eventually that motivation turns not into life but into junk.

I start feeling resentful toward the expectations. I start to compare my own "good" choices and "good" life with those around me, and pride grows in me. Pride always kills my heart for those who struggle. I get annoyed with God's ever diligent place in my life, and start wishing He would go away. I get tired of living up to the good girl persona and eventually lash out by binging on lazy living, gossip, selfishness...you get the picture.

Some examples from my life this week:

  • I played in the floor with Gareth, because I know it is what good mommy's do.
  • I chose to say kind things about someone instead of mean and thoughtless things, because I don't like to be around people who talk about others.
  • I went to a ladies night out at my church because I know I'm suppose to get to know people and take part in community.
  • I talked to new people at a few events I attended because that is what good InterVarsity staff are trained to do.
  • I unloaded the dish washer because a messy kitchen makes me feel like a failure.

These were wise choices. They were what a woman who is committed to Christ should do, but they were done for the wrong reasons. Out of the wrong heart. I do a lot of good stuff in my life out of wrong motivation! So what should I do? Stop all the good stuff. Stop all the striving because my motivation is bad? NO! But I should spend a chunk of my day or week thinking about this question-"what did I do today because I'm suppose to and not because Christ loves me?" HONESTLY think about it, and then pray.

"God I'm not playing with Gareth now because You love me and call me to care well for my family. I'm just trying to be the best mom I know, and I'm trying to push away the feelings that I suck at being a parent. Change my heart."
"God, I'm moving toward this new family at church not out of Your heart for me and for them, but because I honestly think no one else will talk to them. Forgive me my pride and self-focus. Give me your heart and energy for the new people I meet."
"God, I didn't take part in that gossip today, not because You love me and have made me a new creation. I did it because I don't want to be like those who were, and now I need Your forgiveness for seeing myself as better than them. Forgive me too for not calling them to a better choice, but just listening."

The guy who got this right was
brother Lawrence a monk in the 17th century. He understood that all parts of his day from his prayer life to serving others to working in the kitchen, that all parts should be in response to God's loving presence.

God, teach me to be like brother Lawrence--Help me to understand your presence in my life, and teach me how to know and confess my vain and small motivations for living out my life in you. Win my heart and let me be inspired and compel only by Your love for me and Your work on the cross.

Anyone else what to share where you struggle with bad motivation?

1 comment:

The Singlers said...

Girl I miss you. I love how you are honest.

The best thing that I can do when I realize that my motives aren't pure is to pray, pray, and then pray some more. You just convicted me that I need to do it more.