September 16, 2010

Living Out the Transformed Life: Compelled

The pursuit of a transformed life has to be rooted in & motivated by Christ's love for us.

2 Corinthians 5:14a--"For Christ's love compels us,"

I love the word compel. Paul doesn't say that Christ's love demands, or insists. He also doesn't go the other way and say that Christ's love suggests, alludes or even strongly encourages. No, Christ's love compels us to be transformed. It draws us into a desire to be like Him. His love woos me to a holy life.

I don't know many people who feel like they are truly lovable. I've always been surprised when people show an interest in being my friend. When Joshua asked me out I was so shocked that he was interested in me, I was silent for 2 hours! (No wise-cracks about how hard that must have been--ha ha I get it...I like to talk-smile.)

In the end I guess we are not really a lovable people. Vain, wimpy, lazy, addicted to our small story, and terrified of real, honest relationship with each other and our God. No surprise that we are also insecure.

But God--Father, Son, Spirit--loves us completely, passionately, wildly. And He would do anything to be close to us. Hebrews 12:2 tells us "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame." This verse helps me understand God's heart for His creation. I'm the joy set before Christ. We all are. Freeing us from our death-soaked lives, and making a way for us to be in a relationship with Him is what motivated Him to suffer the tortures of death on a cross. He loves us.

When I first heard the John Mark McMillian song "How He Loves" I was not a fan. I'll admit it. I even gave our camp worship leader Kenny a hard time for having it in the song list. I didn't get it. But I do now. Christ loves us. OH HOW CHRIST LOVES US! It's shocking and overwhelming. It's undeserved and too good to be true. But it is true, should I expect anything less from a God that is so big and beautiful, so good and wild. He loves me, He came after me, He won me.

That is compelling.

I want to live up to that love. To bend under it's weight. I want to be different, transformed, not because I should be, not because I ought, but because this kind of love draws me toward transformation. This love is ravishing and I am won.



And I'll never doubt a song that Kenny picks again. Sorry brother!

1 comment:

Dusty Harrison said...

Thanks for this Lee! I just forwarded it on to our Leadership Team. May Christ's love continue to compel us to live out our transformation on campus and wherever we are. For His glory!

Thanks again for coming down to share with us on Tuesday. We enjoyed having you here.

PS-Tell Josh I've got Megatron on my fantasy team and that his catch was definitely a touchdown!