September 22, 2010

Living Out the Transformed Life: Perspective-part 2

Now that we have been freed to live our lives for Christ (see LOTL: Compelled), what are we to strive for?

2 Corinthians 5:16--So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer.

Yesterday I talked about perspective, and how our view of others has to change when we become Christ-followers. I asked two questions yesterday. The first was, how does the world view other people? The two main words I talked about were comparison and competition.

Today I want to write about that second question.

If I am called to abandon the way the world views people, then what perspective am I to adopt? Right above this verse in 2 Corinthians 5, Paul tells us that, "And He[Jesus] died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again." These verses tell me that I'm to live for Jesus Christ. To take on His outlook.

So how does Jesus view people?

While the world views relationships from a consumer perspective. Christ takes on the attitude of a servant. "What can I do for YOU?" was His posture toward everyone He interacted with. Instead of Comparison and Competition, Christ moved toward others with Compassion and Truth.

Think of the woman caught in adultery in John 8. Jesus is teaching when some Pharisees drag a woman into the crowd. Scripture says, "They made her stand before the crowd," and then try to use this woman to trap Jesus. But Jesus instantly calls them on this comparison crap! "Ok," I imagine Him saying, "your right. She deserves to die. So let's form a line to keep things orderly, and all of you who have NEVER screwed up, who have NEVER broken the law, you go first." They were all comparing themselves to this woman. And compared to her, they were looking good. But Christ reminded them that God judges us based on His standard...perfection, and when compared to perfection, we all feel embarrassed. See this played out as this story concludes.

Christ is the only one in the crowd who had any right to throw those stones because He NEVER screwed up, NEVER broke the law. And as everyone walks away blushing, He chooses compassion. He doesn't condemn the woman. He offers her grace.

And he offers her TRUTH. Don't miss that. She doesn't just get His sympathy, He also calls her to move out of her junk. He cared enough about her to confront the poor choices she was making. He tells her to "...leave your life of sin."

I am not so good at compassion, truth and service. I might fake it well for people who aren't close to me, but with Joshua and my kids, my true colors come out. I care more about what Joshua can do for me than about what I can do for him. I think more about how I can get the marriage I want, live in the family I want, than I think about what Christ wants for my family, what He wants to do in my marriage. I get fed up with people's brokenness. Rolling my eyes when I see Josh in a struggle to be the guy God created Him to be. God isn't annoyed with Joshua, or my kids, or brokenness, so why do I think it's ok to be annoyed?

I need a transformed perspective on others. I need Christ to flood my life so I can only see people from His perspective. He, who didn't feel the need to announce that He could throw a stone if He wanted. He, who cared a lot more about this lady than He did about His own reputation or really His own law which she had just broken. I need Him to come more and more alive in me and put to death this fleshy greedy "self" that would have thrown a stone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I struggle with this idea. So often, I catch myself thinking that it's okay to jam my opinions down people's throats because "I know what's best for you."

I'm a little worried and very interested to see how that's going to play out now that we have a son.

Too move to compassion is a difficult thing when you have power. Thanks for helping me think about it, Lee.