January 21, 2011

Living Simply Isn't Just For Your Pocketbooks.

I have been pursuing prayer over the last months. By pursuing I mean that I've been trying to actually do it, and that I've been reading about it. I also have quizzed and questioned some people in my life that are PRAY-ERS!

One of the main ideas that keeps coming up is simplify. In Henri Nouwen's book, "The Way of the Heart" he encourages,

"In the context of our verbose culture it is significant to hear the Desert Fathers discouraging us from using too many words...This is a very helpful suggestion for us, people who depend so much on verbal ability. The quiet repetition of a single word can help us descend with the mind into the heart." (pg 80)

This seems like a good idea in both my mommy life and in my ministry one.

During my mommy days, I lack the energy to find the words to pray. I also lack the quiet. With Gareth spitting at Audrey. Audrey screaming at me. Cecilia stressing over her homework, and me trying to clean or cook or fold or not scream back...My day isn't really conducive to the praying that I'm use to-the praying with all the words.

On ministry days there is a different block to meeting the Lord in prayer. My own agenda. I spend a bulk of my ministry prayers laying out a great plan for the Lord. My ego...I mean, my words get in the way of me consistently hearing from the Lord, connecting to where He is going and what He is doing. I miss Him because I'm saying too much.

Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.

Nouwen and other smart pray-ers encourage me to pray only 5 words, or 2 or even (horrors) ONE! Over and over and over-until my heart is beating in rhythm to my prayer. Over and over and over-until the loudest tears and the best ideas can't derail my understanding of God's presence or His love. Over and over and over-until my prayer becomes as natural and as essential as my breathing.

Until I understand that saying the name of Jesus over and over is a blessing to my soul and not a waste of my time.

Until I feel the embrace and joy that prayer offers.

Until I, like Paul, can understand the fullness of a life that is lived in ceaseless prayer.

Tomorrow on the blog a warning:this type of Prayer could make you hyperventilate.

6 comments:

angie said...

i have thought a lot about this since we talked last week. i love the thought of having prayers to say- not just "helpmeLordhelpmeLordhelpmeLord" when i am in the middle of the crazy. i need to train my brain to go to prayer before anything else.

Unknown said...

This was great, Lee. I could really stand to pray like this more often.

Two questions:
How do you keep this from becoming just a routine?
How do you avoid falling asleep?

I struggle with both of these when practicing centering prayer or breath prayer. Any advice?

The Singlers said...

Lee I love you.

Lee and Joshua Simmons said...

Thanks for the comments!

Especially from my super smart and discerning friend Angie! Thanks for taking the risk.

Steve those are great questions. I am not sure the answer. I think to the first there is a part of practicing any discipline where it does become routine and therefore feels "stale". But I think my feeling is that even when it feels routine, or stale to me, it is still doing something powerful in my heart and my soul. My job is the trust and continue waiting for the day that my discipline produces life.
I think about sermons and communion. I don't have powerful experiences with every sermon I hear, and I don't feel a deep connection with Christ every time I take the elements, but I have faith that something spiritual happens. I trust that my soul is getting fed and strengthened. I do think there are some ways to safe guard against staleness-thinking about that Nouwen quote and pressing into the idea of my heart getting to lead me in prayer helps give me energy and focus. Also I am going to ask John Hanna to weigh in. He has practiced this more than me and may have a better perspective.
As for the second-I sit in an uncomfortable chair. But also I think if this is something that I really struggled with, I would get up and do something while I'm praying--doodle, load the dishwasher, take a walk, play with the kids. The beauty behind this type of prayer is that is suppose to internalize itself into your whole day. So the idea isn't always to sit in quiet and pray. In fact Brother Lawrence seemed to connect to God better while he was going about his day than he did in the prayer offices.

Susan! I love you too!

Unknown said...

Awesome, Lee. Thanks for taking time to reply. This was really helpful.

Unknown said...

Steve - to your questions I would agree with Lee's response and add the following.
I will often use the passage of scripture that I'm reading that day to determine the one word, or phrase, I pray. That way as I go throughout my day and pray that phrase, it reminds me also of the passage of scripture.
Sometimes, I will use a oommon breath prayer (i.e. Lord Jesus have mercy on me a sinner) but more often than not I'm finding if I use the scripture that I've read it is more helpful.

As for it not becoming a routine - I would vary how you practice it, where you practice it, etc. Just like if you spent time with a friend the same way all the time, and said the same words each time, it could pretty quickly become routine and stale. Not using the same phrase all the time also helps with keeping it from becoming just a routine.