January 27, 2011

Take Seven: Is 7 the Number of Completion?

The last day.

Or at least the last day of my commitment. The question is will I keep it tomorrow, next week and through out 2011.

This morning I set the alarm again for 6. It went off, I woke up. I turned it off and had a minute of indecisiveness. The moment when the desire to snooze in my nice warm bed was about to win over the desire to get up and meet with God, Audrey needed to go to the potty.

What alternative did I have. I took Audrey to the potty, helped her find her tooter (what we call a pacifier), tucked her into bed with a little prayer (at her request) and headed for my little uncomfortable chair. Thank you Audrey!

My time this morning was good. I was able to focus for the most part, and apart from Gareth venturing in to snuggle with me in my little chair, the kids let me have time to my prayers. During my breathing and proclaiming Christ's name, I did feel the Spirit draw to my mind to one particular family, and so I spent my time saying Jesus for them, for their kids and for the hard things they are walking through.

I'm a little sad that my last day wasn't funny or dramatic in some way, but I guess that is to be expected. The more this practicing becomes a habit that leads to a discipline, the less crazy will show up, and the more I'll use the word "good" to describe my quiet prayer time. The more I regularly get up and get in my little chair, the more the kids will understand, "Oh, Mom's praying, let's wait." or maybe even, "Oh I can sense in my soul that one of my adults are awake, but it is probably mom, and she is just sitting in that uncomfortable chair. No fun is being missed out on." And then they will roll over and go back to sleep. (one can dream).

I still don't know if I'm sold about this simple praying. Spending a tiny chunk of everyday sitting quietly, saying Jesus. Maybe I'll spend time with God today and post on what I've learned this week. Maybe I won't (smile).

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Scott, Bri, Elijah, Abigail said...

I love the part where you are thinking that maybe the kids will come to expect you to be in your chair praying and not bother you....

After my most recent committment to be up before the kids to have my time with Jesus... there was one day I just didn't make it out of the bed. I was awakened to Abigail saying, 'Mommy, why you not at a table doing Bible Study?'

Talk about conviction! They know!