January 25, 2011

Take Five: Linny, Tuck, and Ming-Ming too!

Well, I was waiting for it. I knew it would come. I did not pray this morning. I missed it.

I got in bed late and I got up late. I did not set the alarm. I ate yummy banana pancakes made by my husband. I had a great morning (and the late night before) catching up with my sweet friend Joe. I worked a puzzle with the kids. I took Cecilia to school, and made it to a meeting. Sigh. I missed time in quiet prayer.

I got home from my meetings around 2:30. I still wanted to meet with God in prayer, but I also wanted to snuggle with Audrey and Gareth. Surely I don't have to choose. How can I merge the two. Then a brilliant idea washes over me.

Wonder Pets!

I'll turn on Wonder Pets (for those of you without little ones it is a kid show on Nickelodeon) and while they watch that and snuggle with me, I'll practice my quiet prayer. GENIUS!

So how did it go you're wondering?

I won't say it was a prayer FAIL, but I won't say it worked either.

Breathe in, Jesus. Breathe out, Jesus. And quickly, I'm distracted by Ming-Ming's desperate need to succeed on her own, without the help of her team mates, Linny and Tuck. Listening to the inner turmoil of her musical soul, I realize that I am not going to be connecting with God. I'm too invested in the drama unfolding before me between a little duckling, hamster and turtle.

Lesson learned from today. While some distractions (like yesterday) can bring me closer to God. Most distractions are just that-DISTRACTING, and that is why I need a little uncomfortable chair to meet with God.

"You & I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness"-CSLewis. Thanks for the wise words Jack. Maybe tomorrow I'll heed your advice.

No comments: