January 29, 2011

Pondering The Curse of Parenting.

This morning we were listening to music while eating our weekly pancake breakfast. My favorite Avett Brother's song came on and Joshua and Cecilia started dancing. For some reason Cecilia said, "I can't wait until I grow up and have kids." I smiled and automatically answered, "Cecilia you are going to be a good mom" but then I paused and clarified, "Well...if you follow God you'll be a great mom! If you don't you'll just consume your kids." Cecilia barely heard me as she concentrated on her wild twirling, Joshua looked at me (as he does often) with a smile and shake of his head.

Let me back up to Monday.

On Monday I spent some time in Duet. 28, looking at blessings and curses. Moses is telling the people of Israel that if they stay close to God, following His instruction, then they will be blessed. If they wander from God & disobey His commands, they will be cursed. The blessings are great! The curses are beyond your imagination HORRIBLE! Here's a look at one of the curses...
The most gentle and sensitive woman among you—so sensitive and gentle that she would not venture to touch the ground with the sole of her foot—will begrudge the husband she loves and her own son or daughter the afterbirth from her womb and the children she bears. For in her dire need she intends to eat them secretly because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege of your cities. (vs 56-57)
WHAT!
And if you dudes are thinking that you are off the hook...I just didn't include your part. Look at verses 54-55.

Needless to say this section kicked me in the face and punched me in the gut. The whole cursing section (vs. 15-68) was too much for my gentle and sensitive sensibilities. And I found myself annoyed, upset and nauseous.

Two ponderings swam to the service of my conflicted thoughts.
  1. A good God warns me that I have the capacity for great horrors.
  2. Left to myself, to my own parenting, I will consume my kids. Maybe not by eating them (hopefully not), but consume them none the less. And it is only through the miraculous work of Christ in my life that these precious little ones are safe from their frightful mom.
I'll unpack some of this in the next few posts, in an effort to keep my posts from being ridiculously too long.

And for those of you who are wondering-my favorite Avett Brother's Song is Swept Away (the Sentimental version) which they sing with their sister, Bonnie. Here is a live sampling. If you want to listen to the recorded version it is on their "Mignonette" Album. If you don't like/listen to the Avett's then I would encourage you to step out of your musical cursing and into the musical blessing that is being an Avett Brothers fan. Thanks Brooke for teaching me to live in light. Smile.

No comments: